C. difficile is a germ that causes major colon inflammation and deadly diarrhea. This is your opportunity to work with Alliant Quality and other local and national experts on a QAPI initiative to prevent and reduce C. difficile in nursing homes. The initiative will support nursing submission of data into the CDC’s National Healthcare Safety Network (NHSN) databank which will provide for analysis and creation of a national baseline for C. difficile infections in nursing homes, as well as for two- 12 month follow up measurement periods. NHSN provides LTC facilities with a customized system to track infections in a streamlined and systematic way. When facilities track infections, they can identify problems and track progress toward stopping infections.
For more information, email : SPACE@AlliantQuality.org
NHSN’s long-term care component can be used by: nursing homes, skilled nursing facilities, chronic care facilities, and assisted living and residential care facilities. There are many useful links on this web page, including five specific components for LTC facilities:
• MDRO/C.Diff – surveillance for C. difficile, MRSA, and other drug-resistant infections
• Report prevention process measures – hand hygiene, gloves and gown adherence
• Surveillance for healthcare personnel exposure
• Surveillance for healthcare personnel vaccination
• UTI – report urinary tract infections
Each of these components includes training resources, protocols, forms, support materials, analysis resources, and FAQs.